MyDartFrog Listing Guidelines

  • We reserve the right to edit, remove or reclassify any advert at our discretion.
  • All adverts for animals must be accompanied by a recent photo of the animal offered.
  • We have the right to ask members to upgrade to MyDartFrog Business membership if we believe they are selling pets in the course of business.
  • We do not allow animals to be bought with the intention of then being resold.
  • Animals listed within Annex A of the CITES endangered species list must be sold with a valid Article 10 certificate. Its presence, along with a valid Article 10 certificate number, must be stated in the advert.
  • We do not accept advertisements for animals controlled under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act.
  • We do not accept advertisements of wild caught animals.
  • Live vertebrates are not to be delivered through the postal system or by courier service, national or international.
  • We do not allow live animals to be advertised as pet food.
  • We do not allow the buying or selling of any animals located outside the UK, or the selling of animals overseas.
  • We do not accept advertisements for animals to be swapped.
  • It is illegal for an animal to be purchased by someone under 16 years of age. However, we do not allow children under the age of 18 to advertise in our pets or livestock categories as we feel this is more responsible. Sellers should make all practical enquiries to ensure that purchasers on MyDartFrog are over the age of 18.
  • Every purchaser must comply with the duty of care obligations to an animal as specified under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.
  • In order to meet PAAG minimum standards, we reserve the right to prevent advertisers placing animal adverts based on their account activity
  • Advertisers classed as carrying on a business of running a pet shop within the terms set out by the government must be appropriately licenced and require MyDartFrog Business membership

Selling Endangered Species

If you are intending to sell or buy a live animal (e.g. an exotic pet), or any part or derivative of an animal (e.g. taxidermy, furs, tortoiseshell etc.) on MyDartFrog that is considered rare or endangered, it is important that you are fully aware of Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) law and your responsibilities as the penalties for breaking the law can be severe.

It is important you understand the law of selling these animals and you can find all the information you need here of CITES. This will give you a better understanding of what is required from you when buying and selling certain animals.

Animals listed within Annex A of the CITES endangered species list must be sold with a valid Article 10 certificate. Its presence, along with a valid Article 10 certificate number, must be stated in the advert.


What is the law?

To legally buy from or sell to any country outside of the EU, any animal listed on Annex A or B needs an import or export certificate issued by APHA.

The Regulations impose a further restriction on Annex A, which lists the most endangered species, and states that such species advertised for sale must have a sales certificate issued under Article 10 of the EU Regulations.

There are two different types of Article 10 certificate. A Transaction Specific Certificate (TSC) which is valid only for the person named on the certificate, and a Specimen Specific Certificate (SSC) which is valid for anyone who possesses the specimen (i.e. the animal or plant) and must be passed on to any new owner. Any Article 10 certificate can have conditions on it which may say the specimen can’t be moved or sold. In addition to this, the specimen must be uniquely marked, for example with a ring, tag, tattoo, microchip etc., and this mark is recorded on the Article 10 certificate.

However, items made from parts or derivatives from any listed species that were made or altered before the 3rd March 1947 do not need such a certificate providing there is clear evidence of this available. The seller is responsible for obtaining the certificate, or providing the documentary evidence of the age of the item.

Annex B specimens can be traded as long as they were legally imported into the EU in the first place. Police, UK Border Force and Wildlife Inspectorate enforce the legislation that applies in the UK.

You can apply for an Article 10 sales certificate on the Animal and Plant Health Agency website and guidance on how to complete the application form is also available here – Animal and Plant Health Forms and Fees.

Thinking about buying an endangered animal?

If you are a buyer that is interested in an animal/plant specimen which is being advertised for sale, you should firstly check to see if the species is listed under CITES Annex A. You can easily check this by entering the species name into Species+ or by viewing the list of species here.

You will also need to determine that the seller is within Europe (otherwise import/re-export permits may be required) and that they have the required Article 10 sales certificate if it is a specimen of a species listed on Annex A. Buyers should also gain proof from the seller that they legally imported the specimen if it came from outside Europe. Buyers should make sure they get the original copy of the Article 10 certificate as proof of their ‘legal acquisition’ of the specimen.

Remember, to buy or sell an Annex A specimen without an Article 10 sales certificate is an offence. You should not buy any specimen where the seller says they have an Article 10 certificate, but will not show it to you, or says they will send it on later. Please advise us if you come across anyone of this nature whilst using MyDartFrog.

Further information

If you would like more information on CITES, you can contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency by visiting or using the contact details below.


Tel: 0117 372 8774